Not getting enough exercise can be damaging to your physical health, but it can also negatively impact your mental health. Moving your body regularly can greatly impact your mental health, which can help improve your sleep and boost your mood.
So, what is Pilates?
Pilates is an effective way to improve your physical and mental health and can help increase your focus. It is a low-impact exercise that focuses on strengthening the core muscles, improving balance and flexibility, and promoting overall body awareness.
Here we break down the benefits of Pilates and how it can help your mental health:
- Stress Reduction – Pilates is a great way to reduce stress and tension by focusing on controlled movements and breathing. Combining physical activity and mindfulness can help calm the mind and promote a sense of relaxation.
- Improves Mood – Practicing Pilates regularly can also help to improve your mood and reduce symptoms of depression. When exercising, the brain produces more of the endorphin hormone, helping to create a distraction from negative thoughts and promoting feelings of happiness and positivity.
- Enhances Self-Esteem – Pilates can work wonders for those who suffer from bad posture. It can help you feel more confident and comfortable in your body, improving your self-esteem and giving you a greater sense of self-worth.
- Promotes Mindfulness – Pilates can also promote mindfulness by helping you focus on the present moment and reduce distractions. This can improve overall well-being and a greater sense of peace and tranquillity.
- Improves Sleep – Regular physical activity such as Pilates can promote deeper and more restful sleep. This can positively impact your overall mental health, as you will feel well-rested and have more energy.
At The Oast Osteopathy Clinic, we offer both mat-based and Reformer Pilates, so you will find a class that fits your needs. Our Pilates classes can be booked at both our Oast locations in Sittingbourne and Sheppey. We also offer 1:1 classes and inductions to support you if you are new to Pilates.
To find out more about which of our Pilates classes would be best for you, get in touch today and let us help you improve your mental health this year.